Central Oregon’s only night skiing destination, the Hoodoo Ski Area just west of Sisters lets you ski under the stars (and the lights) on Fridays and Saturdays. And every day, Hoodoo offers uncrowded, affordable, family-friendly charm along with three high-speed quad lifts, 32 runs and 806 skiable and rideable acres. With nearly all the runs ending at the main ski bowl near the lodge, it’s easy for families and friends to stay together, and the Mountain Cubs area is for ages 4 to 6.
Beginners will love Hoodoo’s new “1-2-3 and Rent For Free” program that gives first-timers: three two-hour lessons, three lift tickets and three equipment rentals, followed by free equipment rentals for the rest of the year, all for $149. And everyone can appreciate the easy in-and-out terrain from Hoodoo’s spacious, 60,000-square-foot lodge, close to the chair lifts.
Even non-skiers can tap into gravity-fueled excitement with downhill snowbikes, essentially bikes on skis, and at the Autobahn Tubing Park. One of the largest cable tows in the country takes riders to the top of the hill for more than 800 feet of inner-tubing downhill fun.
Another way to enjoy this terrain is on the 19 kilometers of groomed cross-country ski trails.
Hoodoo also offers the most ski-in, ski-out RV hookups in Oregon. With 32 RV spaces just a few steps from the lodge, it’s easy to order a Hoodoo Voodoo IPA and tailgate right from your RV or trailer. Bring plenty of firewood and a fire pit to cozy up around the flame at night to watch the snow fall. Or, stay at cozy accommodations or spacious cabins in the woods at nearby at Suttle Lake, Camp Sherman or Black Butte Ranch. Hot tip: Black Butte Ranch offers packages starting at $165 including two Hoodoo lift tickets or four tubing passes, two free movie tickets and a free pizza.
Almanac – Hoodoo:
- Elevation: Summit–5,703 feet, Base–4,668 feet
- Vertical Drop: 1,035 feet
- Maximum Run Length: 3 miles
- Number of Runs: 32
- Average Annual Snowfall: 450″
- Average Annual Snow Base: 120-180″
- 2014-2015 Rates: www.hoodoo.com
- NIGHT SKIING: Fri.-Sat. beginning Dec. 20 (3:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.)
- Alpine Terrain Rating: 30% Novice, 30% Intermediate, 40% Advanced
- Chairlifts: 5 chairs, including three quads.
- Day Lodge: Hoodoo has one centrally located lodge with rentals, a ski shop, a restaurant and a bar. The Autobahn Tubing hill has its own warming hut with food service.
- Nordic Skiing: The Hoodoo Nordic trails are groomed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On non-holiday Tuesdays and Thursdays, Hoodoo doesn’t groom and skiing is free. The trails are generally closed on Wednesdays.
- Ski Shuttles: From Eugene, contact Berg’s Ski Shop for schedule (800) 800-1953.
- Deals: Tightwad Tuesdays lift tickets; and 2-for-1 lift tickets on Thursday and night skiing Friday and Saturday with stamped voucher of 10-galllon fill-up from participating Shell gas stations.
- Night Skiing: Fri. – Sat. from Dec. 20; 3:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Day-care Center: Hoodoo Day Care will hold five children ages 18 months to 4 years. $65 for a full day or $16/hour with 2-hour minimum. Lunch is $6 extra. Please call to reserve: (541) 822-3799 ext. 6952
- Information: For questions about lessons and programs, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (541) 822-3799, ext. 6510.
- Ski Report: (541) 822-3337 www.hoodoo.com/status
- Trail Map: Available at the Central Oregon Visitors Association or at the mountain. Visit hoodoo.com.