Terrebonne Depot is back under new ownership and management. You may have seen us before at the food truck Beta Bites in the Bend Rock Gym parking lot. We look forward to continuing to serve the Central Oregon community that we love! Join us for lunch, happy hour, or dinner at the historic Terrebonne Depot serving legendary dishes. Our mission is to provide sustainable, ingredient-focused dishes made from scratch to our guests while also supporting our local community.
History of Terrebonne Depot
Constructed in 1911 as a nexus for the burgeoning Oregon Trunk Railroad, the Oregon Trunk Passenger Depot was originally a one-story structure that welcomed passengers and freight from the east side of the railroad tracks—directly opposite its present location.
For over four decades the depot played a critical role in Central Oregon’s growth and provided a vital supply link for the tiny town of Terrebonne. Between 1938 and 1951 the depot was hauled to the west side of the tracks and a second story was added for the storage of freight. This addition can be identified by the contrasting siding patterns along Terrebonne Depot’s exterior.
For much of the latter half of the 20th century, the Terrebonne Depot sat abandoned. In 2005, the current owners initiated the historic structure’s meticulous and award winning renovation. In doing so, they found that the original building was not fastened to a solid foundation, but was in fact perched on 40 8-inch by 8-inch old-growth fir pier blocks. To accommodate a new poured-concrete footing, the entire building had to be hauled 36 feet west. This was done by slowly sliding the entire edifice atop makeshift rails—a fitting journey for a former train station.
Due to decades of neglect and decay when the depot lay dormant, most of the interior of the relocated building had to be removed. Wooden crossbeams were also added to act as wind girders and bolster support for the second story. Where possible, materials from the original structure were reused, including even the floor joists and roof trusses. Finally, local artisans were commissioned to handcraft the restaurant’s substantial yet elegant bar—carved from the old-growth fir blocks that once supported the depot’s floor.